Resemblance

"Ted... look at him", Jamie exclaimed at her husband who was carefully 'cherry'picking carrots at the vegetable shop.

"Oh dear.. please spare me few minutes", he responded with a sigh as he turned back and looked at the direction she was pointing to.

"Heyy...he looks just like me, doesn't he??" Ted responded in an amazed tone to Jamie. Meanwhile, the man who was as amazed as Ted seeing a look alike, started walking towards Ted and Jamie.



* * * * * 

"My name is Johanny. People call me John. Very happy to see someone who looks just like me. Shall we have a cup of coffee?", he invited. Ted and Jamie consented and moved along with him to a nearby coffee shop after paying the bills for the vegetables they had chosen to buy.

Allowing his hot coffee to cool down a little, John briefed about himself. " My native is a village down south Africa named Mpumalanga, from where my parents had to elope as the village was against their marriage due to some old family feud. We are now settled here. My parents are no more. I live with my wife and kid here, near Woking". Saying this, he started sipping his coffee, expecting Ted to introduce himself.

Ted, who was about to say something, was interrupted by a notification from his phone. As Ted took the phone over and read some message on his phone, his face showed a sudden display of shock and unhappiness.

"Oh dear.. I believe we need to urgently move on. Looks like one of my friends from office lost his mother suddenly and he needs support", Ted said Jamie, as he extended his hand towards John and shook his hands saying, "My sincere apologies John. I need to urgently move on. Catch you another day".

Rushing out of the shop with clueless Jamie, leaving a startled John standing still with his cup of coffee, Ted entered his car and drove back home and hit the bed straight with a sigh of relief as he reached his home.

* * * * * 

"Oh Dear.. why were you so rude today to John?? He looked like a nice guy after all. I am sure he would have been hurt with your behavior. You suddenly rushed without even paying for our drinks. To top it all, I now see you have apparently lied to him, you don't seem to have any friend needing support. You are happily lying down here at the comfort of your bed."

"Ohhhh... How relieved I am that I did not share him my details!!", Ted exclaimed, as he told Jamie, "Hope you remember that I told you about my aunt who eloped from my hometown.. you may not have realised it, as I have always told you about my hometown, but never told you the name. Yes. He was my cousin, the son of my aunt, who eloped from our native Mpumalanga, from the family which we had completely lost in touch post their elopement. "

Jamie stood there further confused, "So, should we not have invited him home, seeing him after so many years?? Are you so bad to remember the family feud still that you would turn your face back at him after so many years?"

Ted replied in an annoyed tone, "I wonder if you would ever grow up Jamie... "

"You know how much I have been struggling to get my share of my maternal grandfather's properties. No one knows about him (John), so he is out of question. As soon as he comes into the picture, he would be entitled to a share of the property, which would further lessen our share, which we are getting after so long. I don't want any further loss to my ancestral property share.", he said in an irritated tone.

"Forget it. Can you get me a hot cup of coffee now? I could not enjoy it at the coffee shop, due to my confusion post the sudden revelation from him of him being alive.

Comments